Monday, March 06, 2006

She can see in the sink!

Carly is now tall enough to see over the counter and into our kitchen sink. Someone please tell me when this happened! When she curls up on my lap now she is all skinny arms and legs. No baby rolls left anywhere. Even that protruding belly is going away. I am not quite sure what holds her pants up. She has no butt, either, which makes us wonder where on earth she came from. Her fingers are long and thin now, no chubby baby sausages that she used to have. Her pinky eerily resembles mine. And she is smart. Not in a knows-the-capital-of-Alaska or solving-for-x kind of a way, but in that she pays attention to EVERYTHING that anyone says and picks up on words she doesn't know immediately. At church yesterday she said What's mercy? Um, it's, uh, kind of like being nice, and um, want to go to Target and pick out a treat after this? And she has the most amazing memory. She forgets nothing, EVER. I mean, it's great and all, but there goes my empty promises method of disciplining. Plus, she is a bit of a collector, as I think many four year olds are. That broken McDonalds toy, a piece of pink scrap paper from school, a hunk of string. In my anti-clutter cleaning frenzies, these are the types of things I toss in the garbage. And when she starts asking about them, I put on my best puzzled expression and absentmindedly say Gosh I don't know, I haven't seen it. The exact same way I react when my husband starts questioning me about something of his I threw away. I think the jig is up. Carly figured it out before Daddy.

No comments: