Okay, so I realized that when I have talked about this impending arrival, the focus has been on me, how I feel and how my clothes fit. All of which are very important things, but we are having a baby, which is so much more exciting than whether or not Cap'n Crunch soounds good today. Um, and it does. Carly is so excited she can hardly stand it. When I first told her (on Christmas morning) I had big expectations for her reaction. She sensed this, of course, and said very nonchalantly, Oh. Can I play with Leo's new vacuum? Expectations successfully managed.
Now she is very excited and tells everyone she can't wait to have a baby sister. Then I nudge her and she sighs and says or a brother. She is convinced it's a girl and wants to name her Karen. A fine name, but probably not. She thinks it is hilarious that my belly is getting big and is always asking me if the baby is hungry. I tell her that's why I need to eat so much. She was playing the other week and said Mommy, pretend I'm pregnant. Mommy, pretend I am pregnant and eating breakfast. Mommy, pretend I am pregnant and eating a big snack. I just know she'll make a great big sister. Again.
Leo doesn't really understand the whole baby thing. Or maybe he does and that is what he is babbling about. He know where the baby is if you ask him. And he and Carly like to kiss my stomach. But I don't think that it will be real for him until the baby is here.
The baby seems to be growing on target. 15 weeks, 3 days. My waistline seems to be ahead of schedule. Notice I am not posting any numbers regarding that! The heartbeat has been in the low 160s at most of my visits. I think I have felt a few flutters. I am looking forward to those becoming kicks. The little gentle kicks, not the big ones that make you wonder what you might be giving birth to. I am taking a pre-natal yoga class once a week and I love it. It is nice to take a little time every week and just focus on me and the baby.
Are we going to find out what it is? I still don't know the answer to this, but I know that 20 week ultrasound is going to be here quickly. I think probably not. I really want to know for practical reasons - what room to put it in, what kind of summer newborn clothes to buy (I have none), but I love that moment when they are born and you find out. Although I do imagine that moment at the ultrasound when you find out is pretty great too. Sigh. I think we will probably not find out yet. I mean, why argue over one name when you can argue over two?
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment